Film-Photography-Anticipation
There’s a knock on the door and before I can open it, the driver has shut his truck door and on his way. It’s okay because my doorstep has all of my attention. What else but an Amazon box, (my heart skips a beat) Full of FILM.

The process begins. I rip open the package, unravel the tab and prepare to place my film into it’s cassette. Carefully, I wrap the film around, wind, wind, wind and see that magic word. Start. Close the back, push the shutter and hear the mechanical “shhhhhhh”. Ready for the first shot. What will it be?

I meter. I meter again and one more time. Just making sure. Set my shutter, double check my aperture. Step back. Hands folded, looking for the shot. I walk around my subject. Got it. Check settings again. Step back again. Talking, searching, intentionally engaging my subjects. She laughs, her head falls forward and I click. The shutter curtain opens and closes and the magic has begun. That moment, the light, the environment is exposed onto a negative and no other negative will ever be the same. I move the camera away from my face and look to my subjects for what is next.

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” Ansel Adams   Stay tuned for additional posts about our process of film.
Tahnee-Nick-Engagement-27